geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: m2migration branch - thoughts?
Date Mon, 03 Jul 2006 20:19:50 GMT
> I'm concerned that after all the work is done, it will be hard to
> merge the M2 changes from the branch to the trunk.  SVN doesn't seem
> to have particularly good handing for merging changes that involve a
> lot of subsequent adds, deletes, moves, etc.  When this stuff gets
> complex, more often than not, I've had to just whack the old tree and
> check out a fresh copy.

Perforce can handle all of that... and you can merge 90% of it with
your eyes closed.  You could have a branch of a branch with moves and
adds and deletes in both, and P4 will be able to easily merge it all
back to trunk with no problems.

I really, really, really wish that Subversion could handle this sort
of branching and merging.  In many ways SVN is still as bad as CVS
when it comes to branch and merge.

:-(

--jason