geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject [xbean] Colossus server
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 05:03:25 GMT
Over the last week I have been working with the xbean code trying to
figure out the best way to build up a full server.  After a few false
starts, I've decided that the best approach is to attempt to build up
a large server using just Spring with no modularity (and no kernel)
and then once it is working it should be easy to experiment with
different ways to divide up the server.

You can find my experimental branch here https://svn.apache.org/repos/
asf/geronimo/xbean/branches/colossus and assuming I didn't mess
anything up you should just need to do the following to test the server:

$ mvn install
$ xbean-colossus/target/xbean-colossus-2.5-colossus/xbean-
colossus-2.5-colossus/bin/xbean.sh

I don't do windows, so if you are on that you'll have to use a java -
jar execution (or double click on the bootstrap jar):

$ java -jar xbean-colossus/target/xbean-colossus-2.5-colossus/xbean-
colossus-2.5-colossus/bin/xbean-bootstrap-2.5-colossus.jar

Currently there is only one service created, but the idea is to build
up the services created using OpenEJB 3, AMQ 4, Jetty 6 and/or Tomcat
(haven't decided yet), Jencks and some Geronimo services.  I'm not
sure how far down this path I'll get before I get bored and start
working on some modularity code, but that the current plan.

The one new thing I have in the colossus branch is a bootstrap system
which can cleanly launch a vm without needing any command line class
path or manifest class path entries.  Instead it uses a some
properties files, ant style globing and some finder code to build the
initial class loader and locate the real main class.  It still needs
work but I have a few pages of notes on it I'll post to the wiki
tomorrow or the next day.

-dain