geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Tag 1.1 issue?
Date Sat, 08 Jul 2006 21:08:12 GMT
On Jul 8, 2006, at 2:54 AM, Bruce Snyder wrote:

> On 7/7/06, Jeff Genender <jgenender@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I still believe there is value getting the state of OpenEJB at tagged
>> level and accessing it with m:co.  Here is an example...
>>
>> I am trying to research some classloading issues regarding OpenEJB
>> and
>> Geronimo 1.1.  It behooves me to have source level access to both
>> OpenEJB and Geronimo for the state of the Geronimo 1.1 release so
>> I can
>> accurately debug the problem.  It would be nice to have the m:co
>> checkout the tagged version of OpenEJB since we are not really
>> supposed
>> to have any snapshots in there.
>
> I'll do you one even better, Jeff ...
>
> I've just discovered that geronimo/tags/1.1.0 depends on openejb 2.1
> branch which depends on geronimo-1.1.1-SNAPSHOT.

Right, geronimo-1.1-SNAPSHOT (not 1.1.1-SNAPSHOT).

> This means that any
> user with a clean environment who is interested in building Geronimo
> 1.1 from source and somehow figures out that Geronimo 1.1resides in
> geronimo/tags/1.1.0 and follows the bulid instructions on the wiki
> will wind up with the following error:

I'm fine documenting this as long as it's made completely clear it
isn't at all necessary.  One can build Geronimo just fine when
skipping the optional 'm:co' step.

> Those are missing deps on Geronimo 1.1.1 while building Geronimo 1.1.
> In other words, geronimo/tags/1.1.0 is permanently broken. IMO, this
> issue is worse than we originally thought.

Not that I don't agree it's a screwed up situation, but geronimo/tags/
1.1.0 is perfectly fine -- building openejb is optional.  It's
openejb/tags/v2_1/ that's permanently broken.  In fact all the
openejb 2x tags are broken in exactly the same way.  All openejb 2.x
releases are cut before Geronimo releases so a given Geronimo release
doesn't have to have a snapshot dependency on openejb.

> To fix this issue, I changed m:checkout to grab the openejb 2.1 tag.
> Then I changed the geronimo_version in my local copy of the openejb
> 2.1 tag from 1.1-SNAPSHOT to 1.1. After this, Geronimo 1.1 built
> successfully for me.
>
> At a minimum this solution should be documented in the appropriate
> locations. Maximally, we should consider fixing 1.1.

What would you recommend?

-David