geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Bruce Snyder" <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo site POC using Confluence & Autoexport
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2006 02:35:17 GMT
On 7/27/06, Jacek Laskowski <jacek@laskowski.net.pl> wrote:
> > Is there any desire to continue moving in this direction?
> >
> > I personally believe that by having the site in Confluence that it
> > will be much easier for us to keep the content up to date, as well as
> > easily be able to add new content.
> >
> > IMO this is the direction that the Geronimo site should head.
> >
> > The question is... shall I continue to set this up (and collaborate
> > with others) or would that be a wasted effort?
>
> No, definitely not. What I could gather from reading the thread got me
> thinking about its wide range of possibilities a few in our team seem
> to be able to fully leverage and judge how useful they would
> eventually be. I think we need something to keep our web site updated
> where *everybody* contributes and if Confluence helps us moving in
> this direction even a little, I'm happy to give it a shot.
>
> We can always revert changes and go back to what we've got now, cann't
> we? So, unless you're busy with other tasks, I'd ask you to go on.
> Will you? ;-)

This same process is used for both the ActiveMQ and ServiceMix
websites. The websites are completely stored and edited in Confluence
and the same AutoExport plugin is used to automatically export an
edited page to static HTML. The only differences are that we have an
edit link at the very bottom of every page for ease of editing (based
on privs) and some mod_rewrite rules in place for some page names
(IIRC).

Notes to the concerns raised:

Security: Confluence provides it's own users and groups based
security. It's certainly not hardened, but it's good enough.

Performance: The site is not served from Confluence, it's only stored,
edited and exported from there. The site itself is actually static
HTML.

Flexibility: IMO, it's more than flexible enough, especially given
that the Geronimo website shouldn't require anything very
sophisticated. Sure, we could play 'what if' games all week long, but
in the end, it's a static HTML website. Take a look through the
ActiveMQ and ServiceMix websites for further examples.

Maintenance: I doubt we will be using any custom Confluence plugins,
the infrastructure team doesn't allow that. A wiki standard? There is
no such thing and I doubt there ever will be. Migration to any other
wiki requires work just as much migration as does converting Maven's
XDoc format requires for converstion to, say, DocBook.

Versioning: We have never had to roll back the website to this day, so
I'm not too worried about it. But Jason has already proposed a plan
for rsync'ing to Subversion and publishing from Subversion which
sounds like a good plan to me.

Let's not make a moutain out of a mole hill. If the site can be
exported from Confluence and keep the same layout and design, then I
see no issues. Sure, it's different, we'll need to learn a new
process, but someone is willing ot take on the task - that's the
important part. The vast majority of committers have not even touched
the website to date, so to me this is really a non-issue. I say full
steam ahead.

+1

Bruce
);'