geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: GroupId for DayTrader needed.
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2006 23:01:52 GMT
It is not just how we use the m2-style repo inside of G, but also how
we build G using m2 that will cause problems for windows peeps.

The later is going to be more trouble to resolve I think.

I'm still thinking it would be a good idea to have some sort of file-
system abstraction for our m2-style repo... in the same way that SVN
has an abstraction... that could use BDB or a regular file system
(ie. FSFS) for actual storage.  WIth something like this, we could
have the default distro use a BDB-ish filesystem and completely
resolve the windows file name limitations.  With a set of cli tools
we can easily allow the BDB-ish to be converted to a FSFS.

Short of hacking up G to work around the problem... I don't see any
other clean way to resolve this problem for our windows users.

--jason

On Jul 19, 2006, at 7:04 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> Hey,  I used to have a TRS-80.  32k of RAM...yup, those were the
> good 'ol days.
>
> I agree that shortening the DT artifacts is only moving the bubble
> around.  The fact is that for all of its issues there are a lot
> more Windows users out there than the *nix OS's.
>
> One area to improve things is to eliminate this redundancy:
>
> daytrader-derby-tomcat_streamer.jar\1.2-SNAPSHOT\daytrader-derby-
> tomcat_streamer.jar-1.2-SNAPSHOT.car
>
> At a minimum we burn up 47 characters with
> daytrader-derby-tomcat_streamer.jar\1.2-SNAPSHOT where the actual
> artifact name contains exactly the same information for the most
> part.  I'm not sure what the right solution is here but if we had a
> creative way to remove the first part we'd get some serious relief.
>
> Is the reason we have this so we can use the Maven component
> directly?  If we decided to modify our repository code to do some
> introspection would that help?  Dain, I know you wrote most of the
> code with David, what are your thoughts on this?
>
> Jason Dillon wrote:
>> I think that in general... the m2 repository using the m2 style of
>> artifactId and groupId names is not compatible with Windows.
>> Short of changing the way m2 works or altering the m2 naming
>> standard, I do not see any simple way around this problem.
>> And we are getting hit by this in two places too... building the
>> server, and then again when running the server.
>> I think we need to find a real solution to this issue and not just
>> truncate the names to get around problem... until it pops up
>> again... which is will.
>> And as much as I would love to just give all windows users the
>> shaft and force them to snap out of their microsoft induced blue
>> screen of death, reboot every day, annoying dancing paper clip,
>> stupid file locking, file names can't be longer than 256
>> insanity... and I would really love to do that... we can't :-(
>> Lucky we don't have to support TRS-80, CPM or Altair users...
>> --jason
>> On Jul 19, 2006, at 7:38 AM, anita kulshreshtha wrote:
>>> Jeff,
>>>   We also need to shorten the artifactId. It makes a good puzzle -
>>>    Come up with sensible groupId and artifactId such that this
>>> does not
>>> exceed 256!
>>>
>>> Example 2 -
>>> D:\geronimo-1.2\configs\daytrader-tomcat\target\reposito
>>> ry\org\apache\geronimo\configs\daytrader-derby-tomcat_streamer.jar
>>> \1.2-SNAPSHOT\daytrader-derby-tomc
>>> at_streamer.jar-1.2-SNAPSHOT.car\org.apache.geronimo.modules\ge-
>>> activemq-rar\1.2-SNAPSHOT\rar\