geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: VMware on GBuild?
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:09:26 GMT
> Why not use Xen ( http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/Xen )?

Because I understand that it's sensitive to the host OS and I don't
want to fool with it.

> If you just plan to use VMWare workstation, then chances are you are
> going to be wasting a bunch of cycles.  Would be better to just run
> multiple instances of Geronimo.

No, was going to use VMware Server.   It's now final and free.

If I thought it was going to be possible to have multiple TCKs running
simultaneously, I would, but that seems to be such a massive
undertaking that I'm not willing to do it myself.  Do you think it's
easier than I'm speculating?

> I've had really bad luck with VMWare in the past so I am a bit jaded
> to using it.  Previously we had a big box running ESX, and a few
> virtual machines on it.  We setup our main build/ci server as one of
> them... and it was so slow.... the vm had 100% utilization, but the
> host was only at like 20%.

I've had pretty good experience with VMware Server.  Very low overhead
and no limits like you're describing.  It did seem that a database
server suffered a little, but it was still quite usable, and I don't
think the TCK does major disk access like that.

Thanks,
    Aaron