geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Re: Re: Liferay Plugin for G
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 19:23:53 GMT
On 7/27/06, Brian Chan <bchan@liferay.com> wrote:
> Hey Aaron,
>
> We've only tested in Tomcat so far. Our next step is to get a bundle out for jetty as
well.

OK.  If you're planning to release a Jetty bundle, that suggests that
we should name the current plugin liferay-portal-tomcat so it'll
"leave a place" for a future Jetty plugin.

Thanks,
    Aaron

> [...]
>
> Generally, I'm not sure it's wise to make the plugin version the same
> as the Liferay product version.  That means you can't release
> enhancements to the plugin separately from new versions of the
> product.  However, if you're simply repackaging the default Liferay
> install (so you think there's no reason to release a separate plugin
> update), then it makes sense.
>
> In the repository list, you should use
> http://www.geronimoplugins.com/repository/geronimo-1.1/ instead of
> http://geronimoplugins.com/repository/
>
> If you want a site to maintain anything in relation to these plugins
> (e.g. the geronimo-service.xml files for the plugins), I have a
> plugins project on sourceforge I can add you to.  That would make it
> easier for me to help with some of the metadata maintenance if you
> like.
>
> Thanks,
>      Aaron
>
> On 7/25/06, Paul McMahan <paulmcmahan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sorry I've left this thread sitting idle for the last few days.  I'm
> > just now recovering from a complete system overhaul after my OS
> > crashed *wince*.
> >
> > Thanks Brian for being so flexible.  In the long run I agree with Jeff
> > that it would be ideal if the plugin was hosted at liferay.com. That
> > way Liferay can update it when necessary, track downloads, etc. I
> > would be happy to work with someone to set up a plugin repository at
> > the Liferay site and then get that repository added to the master list
> > so it will automatically appear in the admin console,  just let me
> > know if/when the time is right.
> >
> > In the meantime I really hope that the Geronimo community will start
> > trying out the Liferay plugin and provide feedback.  Aaron would you
> > like to upload the plugin to your repository so it can automatically
> > appear in the admin console?   I have also made the plugin available
> > in a private repository I use for development/testing.  You can add
> > that repository to your admin console by shutting down your server,
> > editing config.xml,  and setting this attribute inside the
> > DownloadedPluginRepos gbean:
> >
> > <attribute name="userRepositories">[http://mcmahanfamily.org/repository/geronimo-1.1/]</attribute>
> >
> > Then start your Geronimo server, log into the admin console, and then
> > click the "Search for Plugins" button in the Plugin portlet.  Select
> > the liferay/liferay-portal/4.0.0/car plugin and follow the prompts
> > from there.  You may notice a few glitches in the progress bar UI
> > while the plugin is uploading.  I attached a fix for that to
> > GERONIMO-1959.
> >
> > If you have any questions then please don't hesitate to send me a note
> > or catch me on irc.
> >
> > thanks,
> > Paul
> >

> > On 7/21/06, Brian Chan <bchan@liferay.com> wrote:
> > > Hey everyone,
> > >
> > > Great job! I'd rather optimize for ease of use for the end user. If geronimoplugins
is better, so be it. I'm fine either way.

> > > Jeff just sent use the DD for the ejb version. It's still on our todo list
and is the last thing holding us back for 4.1.0 release (this weekend/next few days).

> > > Thanks for the help Jeff, Paul!
> > >
> > > --
> > > Brian Chan
> > > Chief Executive Officer