geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Re: Liferay Plugin for G
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 16:35:08 GMT
Paul,

I haven't heard back about whether you want me to post the same
plugins that are on your site, so I'll assume yes unless I hear
otherwise.  I see you updated the paths on your server though, which
is great.

A few more notes about the liferay plugins:

It looks like you have a plugin for Geronimo/Tomcat only (not
Geronimo/Jetty).  Can you build a Jetty plugin too, or does the
integration only work with Tomcat?  If there are going to be versions
for both, it would be best to put "tomcat" or "jetty" in the module ID
for the portal plugin -- liferay/liferay-portal-tomcat/4.0.0/car and
liferay/liferay-portal-jetty/4.0.0/car instead of just using
liferay/liferay-portal/4.0.0/car for the Tomcat version (and then what
for Jetty?).

You should use a human-readable <name> for the plugin metadata, and
make the <description> an actual description (it will be used as text
on the web page that describes the plugin).  There is no real
description for the Liferay plugin (only for the Liferay database
plugin), which means the web page on the site for the plugin will be
pretty empty.  They both use the module ID as the name, which isn't so
good.  It would be great if you could update the metadata accordingly.

Generally, I'm not sure it's wise to make the plugin version the same
as the Liferay product version.  That means you can't release
enhancements to the plugin separately from new versions of the
product.  However, if you're simply repackaging the default Liferay
install (so you think there's no reason to release a separate plugin
update), then it makes sense.

In the repository list, you should use
http://www.geronimoplugins.com/repository/geronimo-1.1/ instead of
http://geronimoplugins.com/repository/

If you want a site to maintain anything in relation to these plugins
(e.g. the geronimo-service.xml files for the plugins), I have a
plugins project on sourceforge I can add you to.  That would make it
easier for me to help with some of the metadata maintenance if you
like.

Thanks,
     Aaron

> Sorry I've left this thread sitting idle for the last few days.  I'm
> just now recovering from a complete system overhaul after my OS
> crashed *wince*.
>
> Thanks Brian for being so flexible.  In the long run I agree with Jeff
> that it would be ideal if the plugin was hosted at liferay.com. That
> way Liferay can update it when necessary, track downloads, etc. I
> would be happy to work with someone to set up a plugin repository at
> the Liferay site and then get that repository added to the master list
> so it will automatically appear in the admin console,  just let me
> know if/when the time is right.
>
> In the meantime I really hope that the Geronimo community will start
> trying out the Liferay plugin and provide feedback.  Aaron would you
> like to upload the plugin to your repository so it can automatically
> appear in the admin console?   I have also made the plugin available
> in a private repository I use for development/testing.  You can add
> that repository to your admin console by shutting down your server,
> editing config.xml,  and setting this attribute inside the
> DownloadedPluginRepos gbean:
>
> <attribute name="userRepositories">[http://mcmahanfamily.org/repository/geronimo-1.1/]</attribute>
>
> Then start your Geronimo server, log into the admin console, and then
> click the "Search for Plugins" button in the Plugin portlet.  Select
> the liferay/liferay-portal/4.0.0/car plugin and follow the prompts
> from there.  You may notice a few glitches in the progress bar UI
> while the plugin is uploading.  I attached a fix for that to
> GERONIMO-1959.
>
> If you have any questions then please don't hesitate to send me a note
> or catch me on irc.
>
> thanks,
> Paul
>

> On 7/21/06, Brian Chan <bchan@liferay.com> wrote:
> > Hey everyone,
> >
> > Great job! I'd rather optimize for ease of use for the end user. If geronimoplugins
is better, so be it. I'm fine either way.

> > Jeff just sent use the DD for the ejb version. It's still on our todo list and is
the last thing holding us back for 4.1.0 release (this weekend/next few days).