geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: 1.1 keystore portlet bugs & patches
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2006 15:48:29 GMT
> Thanks for the response Aaron.  Just to clarify ... should I go ahead
> and look into the patch from Vamsi or are you already looking at this?

Go ahead.

> Some more info (and strange results) on the failure when the
> default-geronimo keystore is locked:
>
> jetty:
>   -  It really only takes one mouse click to hose the server.  After I
> click on the "unlocked" icon under Available it changes to "locked" with
> no error or warning.  This is enough to hose the server on a subsequent
> restart.  More-over, it isn't obvious how to unlock this once I lock it
> (if I want to correct things before I terminate the server).  It didn't
> require a password or anything other than the mouse click to lock it.
> However, to unlock it requires a password.  How can one learn the
> password for the default keystore?  Perhaps if we required the password
> on the lock operation (along with a warning message) it would prevent a
> casual click  from having such destructive results.  thoughts?

It's possible, though I think a confirmation along the lines of "This
keystore is currently in use.  Locking it may prevent the server from
starting.  Continue?" might be better.

> tomcat:
>   - The same operation on tomcat doesn't result in same failure to start
> the server ... but I suspect this is because we fail to persist the
> knowledge that the keystore is locked to begin with.  Below is the
> serialization failure I get on shutdown.  The funny thing is that after
> I restart the server the portlet continues to show the geronimo-default
> keystore as locked ... and yet this doesn't prevent the server from
> starting (as with jetty).  I thought the error on shutdown was because
> we couldn't persist that locked attribute and hence that was why tomcat
> could still start.  Any clues what's really going on here?

No, it's because Tomcat does not use the new keystore GBeans.  So you
can configure the keystore in question using the portlet, but you
can't just pick it from a list in the Tomcat HTTPS configuration like
you can for the Jetty HTTPS configuration, you have to instead
manually re-enter the file location, keystore and key passwords, etc.
It would be great if someone updated the Tocmat HTTPS connector to use
the keystore GBean.

> Here's the serialization error on shutdown.  There are no errors on
> restart but subsequent shutdowns continue to produce the same error if I
> navigate to the portlet at all:

Looks like it's putting an instance of the KeystoreInstance GBean in
the session.  We should probably change the code to put some
Serializable object in the session that holds the AbstractName for the
KeystoreInstance and looks it up again from the kernel every time the
portlet needs it.

Thanks,
    Aaron