geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Re: Re: Remove GeronimoExecutor?
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:56:38 GMT
On 7/17/06, James Strachan <james.strachan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The problem is that if you forget that, or use one bit of code outside
> > our control (e.g. Tomcat, Jetty, etc.) you instantly get really nasty
> > entries on the screen that shows the statistics.  At least now we can
> > tell which ones aren't implemented and just bundle those into an
> > "unknown" category.  I'm open to alternatives, but I don't like the
> > toString one so much.
>
> How about having some optional interface such as Nameable...

This would be possible (though I don't care about an ObjectName, just
a human-readable name).  But it still requires code changes which will
be hard to enforce on third-party components.  It might be ideal to
have some sort of registry where you can say "Runnables of type
org.mortbay.jetty.http.** should be identified as 'Jetty Execute
Thread'".  I haven't thought up a way to make that convenient either,
though -- it has to be open to additions at runtime as new plugins are
registered, etc.

Thanks,
    Aaron