geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: m2migration branch is available
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2006 10:50:24 GMT
Jacek,

When discussing whether a branch was appropriate, I expressed a
concern that it would be difficult to merge changes from this branch
to HEAD because SVN seems to have difficulty handling multiple
revisions of add/delete/move/copy operations in a single merge (and I
understand the M2 restructuring will involve a lot of that).  I've
often had problems where something is e.g. removed and then recreated
and I try to apply and it refuses claiming that there's something in
the way.  The only way to proceed is to manually delete offending
directories and then update.  But that won't work for merging from a
branch to HEAD -- it would effectively be a revolution operation where
we would have to vote to delete HEAD and move the branch to HEAD.
Then we lose the bug fixes that have been applied to HEAD and we've
been through that before.

I'm concerned that you ignored this concern and went ahead with the
branch plan.  In fact the only response I got was that perhaps a
commercial source control system would be better.  Perhaps that means
this should have been an RTC operation so you were forced to address
my concern before taking this approach.

Thanks,
    Aaron