geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo specs pre-RTC
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2006 04:05:52 GMT
On Jul 3, 2006, at 4:54 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>> I think it is still a good idea to have them all extend from a
>> parent pom... there is still stuff that would be good to
>> centralize, but the parent and the child do not need to exists
>> within the same tree and do not need to share the same version.
> I see no reason for there to be a parent POM.  What stuff needs to
> be centralized?  Can you explain what the phrase "the parent and
> the child do not need to exists within the same tree and do not
> need to share the same version" means?

There is a bunch of shared config... like maven-one-plugin, ci, jira,
deployment (ssh), plugin repositories, distro mgmgnt.  About 80 lines
from the current pom.xml for specs is going to be the same across all
specs modules.  Which minus spaces is about 1/3 of the pom.xml.  Its
about 1/2 of the pom when the bulk dependencyManagement is removed
(since it won't be needed to resolve all specs in every module).

>> I recommend creating a top-level spec-config/trunk/pom.xml that
>> has all of the common pom configuration... then release it a 1.0,
>> and have each of the spec pom's extend from that.  Spec config
>> will almost never change (unless we have to change project urls or
>> repos)... but when we do, its easier to manage in a central place.
> The whole point of this change is to get *rid* of the root POM.

I thought the point was to allow the life-cycle and version of specs
to be independent from each other.

>> I think we eventually need a general project-config module that we
>> can share with all sub-projects.  That module would be part of a
>> build-support project where our independent custom modules and
>> build configuration lives.
> Why?

Because it is easier to manage shared configuration in this manner.

--jason