geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: VMware on GBuild?
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2006 16:46:49 GMT
Just back online after OSCON. Reading/replying on this thread one at
a time.

On Jul 28, 2006, at 10:21 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> I'm interested in setting up VMware Server on my GBuild boxes, since
> my understanding is that the TCK is pretty single-threaded and we
> ought to get better utilization out of the (dual-CPU) machines if we
> ran the host plus one VM or just two VMs (and forget about the host)
> on each box.

I've been wanting to try that as well.  Pretty much for the same
reasons you mention (more utilization, more test results), and also
that we could maybe start getting certification numbers for other OSs
depending on how we did it.

Obviously, the "other OS" concept would require VMWare whereas we
might get away with just Xen if we simply wanted to expand our number
of test hosts.

> It sounds like memory might be the constraining feature -- my boxes
> have 1.5, 2, and 4 GB respectively and I wonder whether splitting the
> smaller ones in half would leave enough RAM for the TCK to run.  Would
> 512 or 768 be enough?

To my memory, 512 isn't enough.  I seem to recall 1g being the
general, finger in the wind, of size.  We could experiment as it has
been a while and our server has changed a bit.

> The other question is IPs.  I only have 3 IPs.  Is there any way for
> me to put all the boxes/VMs behind a NAT and have them share 1 IP with
> various port forwards, or do they really need to each have a public
> IP?

Testing boxes don't need public IPs to test, we just need some way to
get in to admin the box.  As long as we can do that we're golden;
forwarding or tunneling should work.

-David