geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: More to be added to licenses file for 1.1.1 ?
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 03:04:03 GMT

On Jul 18, 2006, at 6:43 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> Kevan Miller wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 18, 2006, at 8:53 AM, John Sisson wrote:
>>
>>> Whilst testing the geronimo eclipse plugin, eclipse prompted me
>>> to acknowledge the Sun license at http://developers.sun.com/
>>> license/berkeley_license.html when caching the j2ee schema files
>>> (e.g. http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/ejb-jar_2_1.xsd ).
>>>
>>> This made me wonder whether this license has been included for
>>> Geronimo (since we redistribute schema files) and it appears the
>>> LICENSE.txt file in 1.1 doesn't contain it.
>>>
>>> I'll add a JIRA for 1.1.1 if there aren't any objections.
>>>
>>> Can anyone think of any other licenses or notices we may have
>>> overlooked?
>>
>> Yes. Would appreciate your thoughts on the following:
>>
>> 1) Fix LICENSE and NOTICE files for branches/1.1/modules/util
>> (currently they are only Bouncy Castle -- I believe that we have
>> ASL code in there, also).
> I think we should do it
>> 2) Do we need to add Bouncy Castle to our "global" LICENSE and
>> NOTICE files (i.e. branches/1.1/modules/scripts/src/resources/) ?
>> I think yes.
>> 3) Insure NOTICE files are included in our jar files (currently
>> only LICENSE files are there)
>> 4) Do we need to add LICENSE/NOTICE files in our generated CARs?
>> 5) Can the "global" LICENSE and NOTICE files be used in all our
>> generated artifacts (distributions, jars, cars)? Or do we need
>> global files and specific license/notice files for generated
>> module jars and car files?
>>
>> --kevan
> 2-4 should be run by legal, no?
>
> To support #5, I hope we don't need some kind of maven magic.

I think 1,2,3 are must do's. I think we can ignore 4. There are some
CAR "files" in ibiblio -- http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/geronimo/cars/
However, I'm not sure why they are there... They are all "1.0" and
dated December 22nd. Should we have them removed? To my knowledge, we
don't build or distribute CAR files in 1.1 (we do have ".car"
directories in our repository, but IMO that's no different from any
other directory name we might have...)

Regarding 5, I think the right thing to do is have a global LICENSE
and NOTICE file in the base of our distributions. We currently have
this. Each of our jar files should have LICENSE and NOTICE files
specific to each jar. I don't think that this is hard to do. Am I
wrong? They all need standard ASL license and notice files. util
needs to include bouncy castle info. Are there other geronimo
generated jars with any licensing requirements beyond ASL 2?

--kevan