geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From John Sisson <jrsis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JIRAs adopter query/policy?
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2006 07:29:05 GMT
ian.d.stewart@jpmchase.com wrote:
> Maybe it's just me, but this seems to smack of favoritism.  Just because I
> use Geronimo as the platform for my web applications running on my home
> network, or to host my open source project, why are my bugs less important
> than those of the engineers from IBM (or JPMorgan)?
>
> It seems to me that the existing voting mechanism provides both a more
> generic and more finely tuned approach for identifying the number of users
> that are impacted by a specific issue.

I also got the same feeling when first reading it, although I'm sure
Sachin has only the best intentions raising it for discussion.

I feel a combination of setting the correct issue priority (based on the
impact to the user, e.g. a crash with no practical workaround would be a
Critical or Blocker) and use of the voting mechanism could identify hot
issues.

We may need to encourage our user base to vote for bugs (educate them
about the voting feature of JIRA) for this to work.

Regards,

John