geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [wadi-dev] Session/clustering API and the web tier
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 08:26:19 GMT
Greg Wilkins wrote:
> Jules Gosnell wrote:
>
>>I pressed 'send' without counting to 10 first on the last response. Sorry.
>

> No probs - no offence taken.
>

>>I've obviously done a bad job of explaining myself so far. Is this
>>clearer ?
>

> Actually no - I preferred the slightly pissed off version for clarity :-)
>

> I actually think we are in agreement.. but donĀ“t realize it.
>
> You say that the getExcecutionLocation() style API I suggest leaks
> clustering concerns into the webtier, but I am not suggesting that general
> container code calls this API.
>
> I am suggesting a that a cluster aware interceptor calls it.
> This is the GSM intercpetion contract of your last email.
>
> But given that interceptors are going to be very tier implementation
> specific and that Jetty has to write geronimo specific interceptors for
> security, transactions, .... then  it appears natural to me that the
> G-jetty module is the natural place for that interceptor to live and
> we don't need to standardize it's contract.
>

> Or is it the existence of the standardized API between interceptor
> and Policy that you object to?   Are your concerns such that
> you do not think this API can be implemented efficiently?
>

> Give me 30minutes and I will post my latest mental picture of
> how I would like to see the Cluster/Session API.
>
> cheers

I see the GSM interceptor as a 'peninsula' of the GSM impl, because it
deals with clustering concerns. The point at which it meets Jetty is at
the generic interceptor API... - I guess this is one of the bones of
contention.

Seen this way, the same interceptor code can be shared across all
containers (via different interceptor adaptors), rather than duplicated
by each container.... and less of the GSM's API needs to be exposed to
the container...

Jules

crystallises out around it."

  * Jules Gosnell