geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [wadi-dev] Session/clustering API and the web tier
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2006 19:07:10 GMT

I pressed 'send' without counting to 10 first on the last response. Sorry.

The thread seems to be getting nowhere fast - probably my fault - let me
try an alternate tack.

here is how I would like to see it work.

The Interception Contract :

The container provides a generic interception point with which the
geronimo session manager (GSM) MAY register an interceptor.

The Policy Contract:

IFF the container chooses to provide invocation/request relocation
fnality it can encapsulate this in an api that knowns nothing about
clusters and everything about relocation and provide this to the GSM layer.

The Relocation Contract :

IFF the container wishes to be involved in decisions around whether to
relocate session or invocation (ultimately about where sessions should
be located) it may do so, via another api (to be discussed when the need
arises). This api will know nothing about clustering, but everything
about the resource usage of a given web container.

A request arrives at the boundary of the container which passes it to
the GSM interceptor.

GSM takes control, uses information garnered from its own internals and
potentially from policy contract with the container to decide what to
do. If it wishes to relocate the invocation/request it does so using the
relocation contract and terminates the interception chain. If it wishes
to run the invocation/request locally, it returns flow-control to the
container, allowing the request to continue into it.

That is it.

The container writer need know nothing about custering or session
location. He need not even provide any of the contracts ! - if he
doesn't, the GSM just forgets about invocation relocation and reverts to
shifting state around all the time.

By giving the container any more control over this you will variously:

- duplicate code in every container
- allow different tiers to make conflicting decisions about relocation
- leak clustering issues into container-space.

I've obviously done a bad job of explaining myself so far. Is this clearer ?

Jules

crystallises out around it."

  * Jules Gosnell
  * Partner