geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From John Sisson <jrsis...@gmail.com>
Subject Geronimo and OpenEJB relationship (was Re: [VOTE] Sponsor OpenEJB to become sub-project of Geronimo)
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 06:04:44 GMT
Hi Jeremy,

Sorry for the confusion, I probably should have started a new thread for
this mail as the mail I replied to was a mail I missed from months back
from a vote thread.  The vote is actually over ( see dblevins mail at
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40geronimo.apache.org/msg26078.html ).

Jeremy Whitlock wrote:
> Hi all,
>     I am an OpenEJB developer and although I'm not as well known as
> many of the others, I have been with the team for about 3 years.  I am
> a big fan of Geronimo but ever since OpenEJB became the EJB container
> for Geronimo, things have been a little less clear for OpenEJB users.
> For example, a lot of people only know OpenEJB via Geronimo.  Most
> don't know that OpenEJB is a standalone EJB container with more than 7
> years under its belt.  While this is a tragedy this is not the point I
> am wishing to make so lets continue.
>
>     OpenEJB began life a long time ago.  When Geronimo came along,
> things took a turn for the worst for OpenEJB.  Not only did the
> mainstream development of the non-Geronimo version of OpenEJB suffer
> and nearly stop but the users of OpenEJB also began to backlash about
> this feeling of neglect.  Geronimo took the best developers from
> OpenEJB to build a better version of OpenEJB but it only builds and
> runs inside of Geronimo.  This again is a tragedy.  I could go on but
> I need to make a point.
It is my understanding that OpenEJB will be moving back to one
development stream (OpenEJB version 3) that will be used by Geronimo and
OpenEJB standalone, so the future should be much brighter as development
will all be focused in the one stream.  Is this correct?

>     My point is that OpenEJB is a mature EJB container with many
> devoted developers.  It is not tied to Geronimo.  The fact that the
> version within Geronimo is pretty Geronimo-specific is a planning
> problem and should not be taken out on the OpenEJB developers.  Many
> of the developers, like myself, would love to see the Apache Software
> Foundation open its doors to a mature and well-known EJB container to
> call its own.  The concerns about OpenEJB ties to Geronimo should not
> keep a great product from being sponsored at the ASF.

Thanks for taking the time to explain what the concerns were, as I
wasn't sure if they were technical or project management concerns.  I
look forward to seeing OpenEJB in the incubator.

Regards,

John