geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: m2migration branch - thoughts?
Date Mon, 03 Jul 2006 20:51:02 GMT
Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> On 7/3/06, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>
>> The problem w/ migrating in a branch is that it gets out of date
>> quickly.
>
> Quickly?! Is my English working badly again? ;-) How could you say
> 'quickly' while we're almost stopped and everybody's frustrated?
> That's why I proposed it.

Because m2 work is not the only work that's going on.  Not all work has
stopped.  You are only speaking of the m2 conversion work.  There are
other efforts underway.

>>  Since we're not using m2 in trunk anyway, why not just let
>> Jason go crazy in trunk?  If there are any changes that are needed in
>> trunk that would affect the current build then for that bit, we go RTC;
>> i.e. Jason should only be futzing w/ M2 POMs.
>
> Isn't a branch suitable for such a work? I think Ken wouldn't agree
> with the above ;-)

As I mentioned above, the branch could get out of sync w/ trunk pretty
quickly.  The only reason to make a branch is to isolate the m2 work
from the m2 stuff that's being used in trunk.  But, the m2 stuff isn't
being used in trunk.  Working in the branch and working on the trunk is
then virtually the same since m2 isn't being used in trunk.

When the m2 work is done, we can fire up an RTC vote.  This is not to
say that there won't be a healthy dose of discussion along the way.

It's ultimately up to the PMC and, most likely, Ken if it's following
the intent of RTC.

Regards,
Alan