geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: Need clarification on RTC... Yet again... was: [Proposal] Tracking the status of patches under RTC
Date Sun, 02 Jul 2006 17:50:55 GMT
Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> 1/ Be more active and describe the change so that not only are
> developers encouraged to test it out or even PMCers. Why is it that
> only committers and PMCers vote? Is the description of the change not
> easy to understand enough? I wonder what makes them unattractive for
> lurkers?

This is an interesting question that I've been mulling over for some
time.  I think that it's due, in no small part, to the tradition of
tallying what votes are binding and what votes are not.  Some projects
don't even bother to tally non-binding votes.

I, myself, use to vote on a few projects and got discouraged when my
vote was publicly tallied as "not mattering"; I now don't bother.

During my short tenor of a few years here at ASF as a committer and PMC
member of many projects, I have never seen a vote tallied where it was
necessary to point out the votes that "mattered".  This was due to the
fact that a consensus was usually formed by discussion before the vote
took place.  I think that as a rule, we shouldn't bother to delineate
voting classes unless it was necessary to break an impasse.

Regards,
Alan