geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Tracking the status of patches under RTC (was Re: [RTC] Clarification please from the PMC)
Date Sat, 01 Jul 2006 21:24:06 GMT

John Sisson wrote:
> One of the issues I see with the current process we have for changes
> under RTC is that it is hard to keep track of what patches are pending
> RTC.
>
> Ken suggested that we reintroduce the STATUS file as a way of keeping
> track of the status of patches (
> http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40geronimo.apache.org/msg24780.html ).
> On the same thread, Dain suggested introducing a "review-required"
> status in JIRA (
> http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40geronimo.apache.org/msg25122.html )
> and is the method of tracking work that I prefer.
>
> PROPOSAL
>
> 1. Add a "review-required" and "review-complete" statuses to JIRA. I
> thought having two statuses might allow a cleaner workflow in JIRA,
> but would be interested in hearing others opinions.
I think that we only need a Review status.  But, in any case, Jira is
definitely the way to go.

> 2. To make it easy for those reviewing and voting on the patches
> (there could end up being a number of revisions of the patch before it
> is accepted) the file names of the patches attached to the JIRA should
> be prefixed with the JIRA issue identifier followed by an optional
> text followed by a mandatory patch version number (starting at 1).
> Example patch names:
>
>    GERONIMO-1234-FixNPE-v1
>    GERONIMO-1234-FixNPE-v2 (second attempt at patch)
>    GERONIMO-3421-v1

Why should a patch that has been attached to a specific Jira issue
include the number of the jira issue?  I don't mind but it seems odd and
usually that means that I am misunderstanding something.
> 2.1 This status should only be set by a committer (can we can get JIRA
> to enforce this?) when they have tested the patch attached to the JIRA
> and believe it is ready for review.
There should be a way to enforce it.

> 2.2 The JIRA should contain all information about the patch.  If the
> changes were previously discussed on the dev list prior to the JIRA
> being created, a summary of the discussions should be moved into the
> JIRA so that those reviewing the patch have all the information in one
> place.  It would also be preferable to add links to the original
> discussions on the dev list archives.  The way  we document changes
> may be subject to change (e.g. detailed documentation placed in a
> linked JIRA) based upon the outcome of the discussions in the thread
> "[DISCUSS] Tracking documentation tasks in JIRA ( was Re: [RTC]
> Clarification please from the PMC )"
>
> 2.3 Each PMC member who reviews the patch attached to the JIRA must do
> the following:
>     * Add a JIRA comment containing the file name of the patch they
> reviewed.  This is so there is no confusion if there ends up being
> multiple revisions of the patch when collating votes.
>    * In the JIRA comment add the results of their review (e.g.
> comments or a vote).  If a PMC member vetos the patch, they must
> include a technical justification in their JIRA comments.  I propose
> that when there is a veto that we leave the status as
> "review-required", as others may still want to vote and so that the
> patch remains getting daily visibility in the "JIRAs Pending Review"
> daily email (proposed below).  The committer can then re-submit
> another patch (where the patch filename has the version number bumped up)
>     * If a PMC member is the person who completes the vote ( three
> binding +1s and no vetos) for the latest version of the patch then
> they should change the status to "review-complete".
Just need to move it on to the regular Open status, no?

> 3. Non-committers who submit patches will not be able to set this
> status.  A committer needs to pick up their patch and test it
> (possibly making changes to the patch).  When the patch is ready the
> committer then sets the "review-required" status.
>
> 4. Have a daily email automatically sent to the dev list containing
> JIRA's pending review.  It appears this should be easy to implement as
> it would be a variation of the weekly "Unassigned Patches" reports
> that are currently in place.
> I would be interested in your comments Jason, as you are more familiar
> with customizing JIRA.
>
> If this proposal is accepted I will document it as part of the work I
> plan to do to document the use of JIRA in
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2080 .

This stuff sounds pretty cool.

Regards,
Alan