geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: GroupId for DayTrader needed.
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:44:07 GMT
I think the 'samples' bit is not really necessary here.

The groupId is just to organize artifacts in the repo.  It does not
(and should not) represent the full logical structure or package
hierarchy of the application/component.

But, I also don't think that it makes sense to artificially shorten
either just to hack around platform specific issues either.

--jason

On Jul 18, 2006, at 12:09 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> I am a big fan of org.apache.geronimo.samples.daytrader.  But...are we
> leading ourselves down the path of a Windows dir size too big
> nightmare?
>
> Jeff
>
> Jason Dillon wrote:
>> Why not give it is own:
>>
>>     org.apache.geronimo.daytrader
>>
>> --jason
>>

>> On Jul 18, 2006, at 11:59 AM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:
>>
>>> The DayTrader project needs a consistent groupId for all it's
>>> artifacts. Currently, some of it's artifacts are under the
>>> "geronimo"
>>> groupid while others are under the "org.apache.geronimo" groupid.
>>>
>>> I discussed this with Matt and we decided to pose this Q to the
>>> community. One option is to have a groupId called
>>> "org.apache.geronimo.samples" which will be home to daytrader
>>> artifacts, other samples we currently have and ones to come.
>>>
>>> One other thing to consider is the very long artifactId name of some
>>> of daytrader's artifacts. An example is something like
>>> daytrader-derby-jetty-streamer. When this is coupled with an equally
>>> long groupId name, we'll be close to hitting the path limit on
>>> windows.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Prasad