geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Liferay Plugin for G
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:34:32 GMT
Hey folks.  I have the Liferay Portal plugin ready to make available
so others can start looking at it and provide feedback.  It actually
consists of two separate plugins --- the Liferay WAR and a Derby RAR.

I created the Liferay WAR by exporting it from the Geronimo version of
Liferay offered at liferay.com.  Then I made some adjustments to it so
it could deploy into Geronimo 1.1 and so it could work with Derby.
Jeff, IIUC you're already working with the Liferay devs on an EJB
version so maybe I can synch up with you instead of contributing
patches to Liferay separately?

The Derby RAR contains the usual connector deployment artifacts
(tranql and geronimo-ra.xml) and a prepopulated database that gets
copied into var/derby when the RAR is deployed (thanks BTW Matt for
the excellent tip on how to make this work!)   This plugin will be
automatically installed by the plugin's dependency system when you
install the Liferay plugin if there's not already a datasource named
"liferay-datasource" deployed in Geronimo.  This allows Geronimo users
to install a fully functional portal server running on Derby all in
one shot, or to manually prepare an enterprise database before
installing the Liferay plugin if they prefer.

Brian, thanks for all your support in this effort so far!  With your
permission I would like to make the  plugin available from a Geronimo
plugin repository (perhaps geronimoplugins.com) so the Geronimo
community can start taking a look at it.

thanks,
Paul

On 6/22/06, Brian Chan <bchan@liferay.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> It's great to see the traction going on in the Geronimo world. Just signed up for the
dev list so I'm happy to participate.

> In our next release of Liferay 4.1.0, we'll:
>
> 1.) Upgrade to the latest Geronimo 1.1 (even if it's just a pre zip until 1.1 gets voted
final).

> 2.) Use Derby instead of HSQL. (Thanks to Paul!)
>
> Liferay, by default (because our users are now used to it), deploys itself to /
>
> That isn't mandatory though. So for our plugin, we just have to make it map to something
like /portal  or /liferay instead. It requires one xml change and one property change.