geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jacek Laskowski" <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>
Subject Re: m2migration branch is available
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2006 06:18:19 GMT
On 7/4/06, Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:

> When discussing whether a branch was appropriate, I expressed a
> concern that it would be difficult to merge changes from this branch
> to HEAD because SVN seems to have difficulty handling multiple
> revisions of add/delete/move/copy operations in a single merge (and I
> understand the M2 restructuring will involve a lot of that).
> I'm concerned that you ignored this concern and went ahead with the
> branch plan.  In fact the only response I got was that perhaps a
> commercial source control system would be better.  Perhaps that means
> this should have been an RTC operation so you were forced to address
> my concern before taking this approach.

(It seems that RTC is going to become a two-sided sword that's aimed at me).

I didn't mean to be seen as 'ignoring you'. It was your concern that I
paid attention to, but creating a branch is an option that does not
need a vote or anything like that. Any committer can create a branch
and it's up to him/her to use it in a way (s)he wishes. It was one of
the possible action that although you'd raised a concern about might
eventually pay off. The idea is to apply patches to trunk gradually
once they're verified and tested. This way we won't fall into a trap
where our work will be a waste of time and the changes won't be able
to be committed to trunk. It may work.

I've stepped up to keep the branch in sync with the trunk and am going
to do it with your help (no matter you want it or not ;-))

>     Aaron

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski