geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Vote] Geronimo Eclipse Plugin v1.1.0
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 03:29:59 GMT
Sachin,
At a minimum, you need to add:

OpenEJB, MX4J, and XStream to the root LICENSE file
MX4J, and XMLBeans to the root NOTICE file

Did you investigate Hessian licensing? I didn't find any licensing
info (at first). So, took a look at the source. The first source file
I looked at contained the following:

/*
* Copyright (c) 1998-2004 Caucho Technology -- all rights reserved
*
* This file is part of Resin(R) Open Source
*
* Each copy or derived work must preserve the copyright notice and this
* notice unmodified.
*
* Resin Open Source is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify
* it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
* the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
* (at your option) any later version.
*
* Resin Open Source is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
* MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, or any warranty
* of NON-INFRINGEMENT.  See the GNU General Public License for more
* details.
*
* along with Resin Open Source; if not, write to the
*   Free SoftwareFoundation, Inc.
*   59 Temple Place, Suite 330
*   Boston, MA 02111-1307  USA
*
* @author Scott Ferguson
*/

I now see the following statement on their wiki:

"Caucho Technology has released this Hessian implementation under an
open source license (the Apache license). Anyone may freely download,
use, and redistribute the Hessian implementation."

But that's the strongest source of licensing info, that I've found...

--kevan

On Jul 10, 2006, at 10:42 PM, Sachin Patel wrote:

> Fixed.  Re-vote.
>
> http://people.apache.org/dist/geronimo/eclipse/unstable/g-eclipse-
> plugin-1.1-deployable-RC5.zip
> http://people.apache.org/dist/geronimo/eclipse/unstable/g-eclipse-
> plugin-1.1-updatesite-RC5.zip (still uploading available shortly)
>
> On Jul 10, 2006, at 8:21 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>
>> Sachin,
>> I'm afraid I don't see either a NOTICE or LICENSE files in the
>> plugin zip file, itself, nor any of the embedded jar files. They
>> all must contain both LICENSE and NOTICE files. Afraid this is a
>> <hard> requirement. And you'll need to create new binaries... See
>> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what-must-every-release-
>> contain for more information.
>>
>> We should be able to reuse some of the license information we
>> generated for G 1.1. I'm happy to help with that. I'm not sure how
>> we're putting the NOTICE and LICENSE info in each of the jar
>> files. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out, but perhaps someone
>> can chime in...
>>
>> --kevan
>>
>> On Jul 9, 2006, at 4:24 PM, Sachin Patel wrote:
>>
>>> The following distributions of the Geronimo Eclipse plugin are
>>> ready to be voted on for final release.  Since binding votes are
>>> needed, each PMC member if possible, please cast your vote within
>>> 72 hours.
>>>
>>> http://people.apache.org/dist/geronimo/eclipse/unstable/g-eclipse-
>>> plugin-1.1-deployable-RC4.zip