geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Maven2 Conversation Status
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2006 05:57:00 GMT
Good news... we are almost there.  Bad news... it will probably take
another week or so get everything *fully* functional.

Right now we have a functional Jetty J2EE assembly, which almost all
components enabled.  Tomcat J2EE assembly is complaining still, but
my hunch is that the fix is relatively simple... for someone who
knows better than I.  The minimal assemblies are in close seconds,
and should be easy to get functional once the J2EE assemblies are
finished.

As many of you have noticed I have been working out of the sandbox/
svkmerge/m2migration branch for this work.  I've been tracking
changes made to trunk and merging them periodically to my sandbox so
that m2migration is kept up to date wrt to other changes.  I think
that this could start to get out of hand the longer that this work is
kept separate.  Already I've had to merge a few changes that would
not be needed if we had one tree to work from.

It is my opinion that we should probably start the RTC process now
for merging the svkmerge/m2migration branch to trunk and to deprecate
the Maven 1 build... and nuke its build files.

I believe that the m2 build is functional enough for people to work
with for bug fixes and other changes going into trunk.  I also
believe that the longer we keep m1 and m2 files around the more work
it will be for use to keep them in sync with each other.

My recommendation is that we:

  * RTC vote genesis to be a peer-project to trunk
  * RTC vote the m2migration branch to be merged back to trunk

I would prefer to finish up the work on trunk, but I am fine to merge
back to trunk a working m2 build and then continue on the m2migration
for another week or so to bunch up changes into per-week intervals
for RTC merge-back to trunk (this is not ideal, but will work if that
is what is required to get it done).

IMO it is better to get trunk sync'd up with the new m2 work that has
been done so that when others change configuration that it will get
applied to the new build and not get lost in the transition.

I am confident that we can get the m2 build finished in the next few
weeks... pending the time required to RTC.

Can we get some commitment from PMC members to review and vote in
these changes so that we can finally finish the move to Maven 2?

Please let me know what your opinion is.

We are almost there... let's finish the job.

--jason