geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject A few tests need some help
Date Sat, 08 Jul 2006 03:03:50 GMT
I've reconfigured all modules to us the latest surefire plugin, and
most tests work... except for a few exceptions:

     system/**/PluginInstallerTest.java
     security/**/LoginKerberosTest.java
     connector-builder/**/Connector15DCBTest.java
     mail/**/MailcapTest.java

Each of these fail in someway that was not obvious to me why, so I
configured these specific tests to be excluded.  I've removed all of
the maven.test.skip=true bits from poms and recommend that they never
be re-added.  IMO, the tests must always pass and they should be
quick enough to run and thus not force people to disable them to run
builds.

All of this work is in this branch:

     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/svkmerge/
m2migration/

I've given up on submitting patches for the moment, but I plan on
creating an RTC issue when there is significant change to be applied
back to trunk... and will provide a patch for clarity, but recommend
that folks use this branch to test/validate on top of scanning the
patch.

I would appreciate some help in resoling why the above listed tests
are failing.

One major thing that has changed, is that the working directory for
tests has been changed from ${basedir} to ${basedir}/target, so there
were several changes needed to bind files to the correct path.  IMO
this is a best practice, regardless of what the working directory
is.... tests should always use ${basedir} to root themselves and
ensure that the tests will work even when the working directory changes.

I do not believe that the failed tests listed above fail because of
this change, but it is possible that they are for reasons I do not
understand.

  * * *

A side note, we should create a module that contains support classes
for unit (and integration) tests to allow some of the redundant code
to be collected, organized and maintained in a central location.  I
believe we will want to implement this soon after the m2 migration is
complete and update all tests to extend from that framework to
simplify the code required to perform highly reliable testing.

Logging configuration is still a bit whack for tests... some tests
spit out a bunch of junk while others just complain with Log4j
configuration warnings.  I will be resolving this shortly with the
implementation of the logging-config plugin extension, which will
allow all modules to share the same config.. BUT before this will
work we need to setup a peer project for all of the independent build
plugins.

More mail to come on that soon.  I plan on setting up a project in
the sandbox, proving and example for how it works using this sandbox/
svkmerge/m2migration branch and then detailing/documenting it to the
list once it is functional.

If you have any questions or comments please let me know.

And... again, can I get someone to look at why the tests listed above
fail?

Thanks,

--jason

PS. sandbox/svkmerge/m2migration also has the latest assembly plugin
changes from GERONIMO-1737 which I am also evaluating.