geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com>
Subject Servlet 2.5 specification
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:27:33 GMT

All,

Jeff, Bill and I had done a lot of work trying to re-enter and check the 2.5 servlet specs

(see http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-1686).

However, dispite these efforts, these specs lack javadoc and jsp, plus they are a little
out of date.  The javadoc is a very important part of the spec.

We need to come up with a solution to get a good version of the spec into geronimo-spec
and I see we have 4 options:

 0)  Push ahead with https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/branches/jee5_exp/geronimo-spec-servlet
     Losts more work to do.

 1) Just copy the tomcat 6 version from
    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/java/javax
    Should be no legal hassles as it is in apache already.  maybe not good to be forking
    the code, but until there is a top level specs project....

 2) Use the jetty version.  I have added a patch for this to GERONIMO-1686.
    The Jetty version is derived from the old jakarta version with patches
    from the apache version of glass fish and manual updates.    However we
    are probably going to change to use the tc6.0.x version anyway.

I think this is a no-brainer and the 1) is the obvious solution.    If other agree I'd like

to do this soon.

cheers