geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Maven Repo Woes - Temporary resolution in place
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2006 13:07:42 GMT
> Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> > So you not only have your build process tied to apache infrastructure
> > in a non-scalable way
>
> Is this the issue with Maven not handling redirects, or something else?

It is the fact that builds of geronimo must download artifacts from
people.apache.org.  We have worked very hard with other projects to
make sure that all downloads point to the mirror system.  Otherwise,
our bandwidth requirements would be many times what they currently
are.  geronimo is circumventing this system.

> > but you are essentially doing a DoS attack against the
> > infrastructure every time you build.  Great.
>
> Is this related to anything other than the scalability issue?

Making >10 connections per client to the server is "very bad
behavior", although I was being a little dramatic calling it a DoS.
If more than a few clients at a time were doing this, it certainly
would have an adverse effect on our service.  This is a different
issue than the use of non-mirrored infrastructure for downloads.

Joshua.