geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Maven Repo Woes - Temporary resolution in place
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2006 21:25:04 GMT
Apologies in advance if this is noisy. I've been using maven for only
a year, so I don't understand all the issues.

Maven will cache artifacts locally and if you have a dependency on a
non-snapshot version of the artifact, it only ever gets downloaded
once. From then on, it assumes that the version in your local
repository is current. Right?

If you have a dependency on a snapshot version it will attempt to
download it from a remote repository, which you can define to be e.g.
ibiblio to completely bypass any use of apache resources. (Of course,
this means that it increases the load on ibiblio but they've signed
up to be an apache mirror so they presumably know the drill).

The way we use maven is that the snapshot version dependencies are on
artifacts that can be built locally; that is, they just don't exist
on the remote repository, so maven can't find them remotely. This
can't be much of a load. Returning a 440 reply to a maven request
isn't expensive... Right?

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, and I would like to know
where I've gone off the rails...

Thanks,

Craig

On Jun 7, 2006, at 12:57 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On 6/7/06, Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> wrote:

>> > How exactly?
>> >
>> > Cocoon/Geronimo have both hit the same problem.  The factor
>> would seem
>> > to be having a lot of components in your build - which I can't
>> see as
>> > being a mis-use.
>>
>> The part about pointing to people.apache.org as a maven repository is
>> not a design flaw in maven.  The part about maven gobbling up way
>> more
>> resources than necessary probably is.
>
> Geronimo/Cocoon and other projects did not set up the maven snapshot
> repository at the ASF, they're using what has been in place for a long
> time.
>
> Hen

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com