geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Build error] - I can not build a freash copy of r411545
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 20:47:32 GMT

On Jun 8, 2006, at 1:19 PM, Mohammed Nour wrote:

> Hi Matt...

> Hello Mohammed,
>
> The Specs are built using Maven 2.  The command is mvn install.
> Unfortunately we're using two
> versions of Maven right now.  The conversion from Maven 1 to Maven
> 2 is ongoing in Geronimo right now.
>
> Yeah I knew that and I built them successfuly using Maven2 version
> 2.0.4. But I susspect something is wrong, When project.xml file
> refers to a dependency which is a rar file and this rar file
> contains a jar file which contains the calss which is needed to
> compile the code successfuly, how Maven does know which jar of them
> is the right one to add to the classpath ?

Is there an error that makes you suspect this?

Basically, there is no magic like what you are asking about.  A maven
dependency on a rar (or war or ear) file can't get anything into any
classpath by itself, it just assures that maven will check that the
artifact is in your local repo (and maybe fetch it, if you are
lucky).  The only way to get at the insides of one of these files in
geronimo is to deploy it into a module (formerly called
configuration) stored in a car file.  This contains the jars etc from
the rar/war/ear unpacked together with relative path information on
how to construct a classloader that can load all the classes.  Note
that the packaging and assembly plugins run bits of geronimo out of
your local maven repository, blurring the distinction between what is
done by maven and what by geronimo.

Hope this is related to what you were asking :-)

thanks
david jencks