geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Request change to RTC Process
Date Sat, 03 Jun 2006 18:23:18 GMT

On Jun 3, 2006, at 11:25 AM, Sachin Patel wrote:

> On Jun 3, 2006, at 8:14 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>
>> However, it's unlikely that current Geronimo committers want to be
>> intimately familiar with some of these Geronimo components --
>> we've all had our chance to get involved, so far, but have chosen
>> not to.
>
> Its very unfortunate that everyone is thinking this way.  After
> some pondering this morning, this statement really bothers me.
> These smaller components are extremely important to the success of
> and future growth of the community.  When people see Geronimo, they
> don't see the runtime, but the things that reflect its image are
> things like the product documentation, the website, tooling and the
> console.  Thus people's focus on only these runtime components will
> have a negative bearing on the project.  The attitude needs to be
> for each of us, that we make more of an effort in the future to get
> involved in these areas.  If that means that we have to put less
> function in primary components in order to spend time to grow these
> areas, then so be it.

I don't know that everyone is thinking this way -- it's only my
observation and I may be wrong. I also don't think this is
necessarily unfortunate. I'd much rather have people working in areas
that they are interested in/good at. I think we'd be better off
attracting new community members, rather than asking existing members
to refocus their efforts.

I agree with you that many of these components are important and
vital to Geronimo. I agree that we as a community should strive to
have a focus on our users. I think we should all be aware of what
tasks are required of our users and what problems they face. I don't
think that this means we should all start programming in devtools...

I think the point you are raising is how do we grow and broaden
community participation especially in select Geronimo components--
not what is the appropriate Geronimo RTC policy. I think that's a
separate subject and invite you to start a discussion on this point.

--kevan