geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: rc1 Status and Next Steps
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:52:53 GMT
I thought I'd confirm what guillaume is saying and go into more detail.

The codehaus stax project is at http://stax.codehaus.org.  I think
from some svn comments and the participation of Alexander Slominsky
that it was moved from indiana university at some point.

It's hard to find the license in the source of the stax project at
codehaus, however this:

http://svn.stax.codehaus.org/browse/~raw,r=73/stax/trunk/dev/README-
API.txt

clearly indicates the 1.0 stax-api jar is asl 2.0 licensed.  I can
find no information on what is in the 1.0.1 release, but presumably
it is still under the same license.  The source files indicate bea as
the copyright holder but contain no licensing information.

Looking in the implementation classes (which we don't use or include
in geronimo), the few I looked at all have asl 2.0 licensing
headers.  Furthermore they don't have the bea copyright even though
they are in the com.bea.xml.stream package.

On another related note, the xmlbeans oct-dev board report indicates
that they have negotiated with bea with the result that bea has
relicensed the stax-api source under asl2.0.  From a post dec 19:
Here's what I'm about to submit for our quarterly status report.  Any
additions/corrections are welcome up until Wednesday, 10 am PST.

XMLBeans Status report for October-December 2005

1. Resolved JSR-173 RI licensing issue.  BEA licensed the necessary
parts under the Apache License; so, there is no longer any licensing
issue there.

This code appears to be the base of what's at codehaus as well.

I wish these guys would all take better care of their licensing
issues, but I think we're safe on this one.

thanks
david jencks