geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Unable to build using m2
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2006 03:25:45 GMT
Why does it fail the first time?  This seems fishy too...

I'm rebuild again to see what it does, but that is painfully slow...

If we really do depend on a development version of the plugin, then
we should either...

   Lobby to get the plugin released

or

   Checkin and manage our own version of that plugin

The later is not ideal, but in an open-source world that we live in,
sometimes that is the only option as we need stability and can not
always rely on other groups to provide that for us.

  * * *

Also, on a side note, we should explicitly list the versions of maven
and mojo plugins that we use.  I have run into problems many many
times when these teams release new versions of the plugins which
effectively break the build.

It is _nice_ that Maven can download the latest and greatest release
of artifacts... but since those latest versions might behave
differently that the project is configured to use... it will just end
up breaking things.

So, don't buy into the "magic" be explicit and tell Maven what
version to use.

--jason