geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Apache Geronimo Knowledge Base (was: Wiki based FAQ)
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:17:16 GMT
Okay, here ya go:

     http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxKB

I did a few things...

First, I setup a geronimo team label, and labeled all of our spaces
(so from the dashboard you can see all of the G-related spaces
easily).  New spaces for G should also get this label added (have add
it manually after creation).

Then I added a {font-size} user-macro to help change font sizes.

I installed the navigation plugin (which gets us {scrollbar}).

I installed the footnotes plugin, see this for an example: http://
cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxKB/CLI

And I installed the plugin repository client, which makes it easier
to manage plugin versions.  I need to know how to get the Utilities
plugin installed into WEB-INF/lib before I can enable some of the
other plugins, but that can wait.  If you have admin, you can see the
repository client page here:

     http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/admin/repository/plugins.action

Just be careful, cause sometimes installing a plugin will hose the
entire Confluence install, or need it to be bounced before it is usable.

Who is the point-man for bouncing/installing stuff for this?

  * * *

Basically there are 3 major sections (each of which could really be
its own space if needed, when we get more content, but for now will
work):

  FAQ - yada yada
  Topics - General KB stuff, not really FAQ
  Glossary - Definitions for terms

The way it works is that each bit of content is its own page.  That
pages parent page is the section it is under.  The name of the page
is the topic title, or FAQ question, or glossary term.

Each content page has at the top {scrollbar}, so that it is easy to
navigate between all of the pages in the KB.

Sub-sections are also just pages, but with the {children:all=true}
macro to allow easy navigation to children.  It is important to add
that, cause the default rendering of children pages at the bottom is
disabled.

The main indexes are dynamic, so you just have to add a page in the
right place and presto it updates.

Use the {excerpt} macro to provide a bit more detail that will
compliment the page title in the listing.

  * * *

Once we get the Utilities plugin installed into WEB-INF/lib, we can
use the Zones plugin to setup dynamic templates for each of these
sections, and then you don't have to worry about the {scrollbar} or
{children} stuff, just add the content and the zone will render per
the zone template.

I have not yet set this up to auto-export, should probably do that soon.

  * * *

Comments?  Questions?  Yada yada...

--jason