geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Assembling a Geronimo distribution in a m2 build - first look.
Date Sat, 01 Jul 2006 06:58:28 GMT

On Jun 30, 2006, at 9:24 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> Why can't the dependency plugin be used to install the car files?

I'm not sure what you mean by the dependency plugin.  If you mean the
m assembly plugin, one thing it has to do is unpack the car.  I don't
know if this is possible.

I haven't thought through yet whether using maven dependencies to
determine what to copy to the repo is likely to work.  The reason
it's not obvious is that we have a different classloader structure
than maven, and 2 ways of getting most jars onto the classpath:
either include the jar directly or import a car that has the jar in
its classpath.  These have very different effects on how many copies
of the jar are in use, hence on whether you will get surprising class
cast exceptions.  When we are building, first we built all the jars
so there's no chance to use a car just to get a set of dependencies
into  the classpath as we do in runtime.

I'm not completely sure how it will work out but I think it likely
that just using the maven  dependencies (if we can get them accurate)
will supply the correct set of dependencies intalled into the g.
repo.  It's certainly worth some experimentation.

thanks
david jencks