geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject [VOTE] Release branching process (was Re: Life After 1.1 - starting the new branch for 1.1.1 - some logistics and your input requested.)
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 01:52:22 GMT
We had this whole conversation last week, lots of good discussion was
had.  I'd prefer not to have to have it again.  Here is my exact
understanding of our consensus and would like to put it to a vote to
avoid reinterpretation of that consensus in the future.

1.   branches/x.y would be the branch for all x.y.z releases

2.   when a release is frozen, we spin off a branch with that *exact*
      name, as in branches/x.y.z, where z starts at zero and increments
      by one.

3.   at that time branches/x.y is immediately updated to version
      x.y.(z+1)-SNAPSHOT

3.   We cut releases from the frozen branch

4.   When a release passes final tck testing and final vote, the
      frozen branch is moved to tags

We create a branch at freeze time for the following reasons:

1.  it takes *at least* one week from freeze to ship due to voting,
     tck testing and potential repeats of that process (re-cut,
     re-certify, re-vote).  There is no reason why work on x.y.z+1
     needs to be delayed -- only 52 weeks a year.

2.  stronger guarantee no one is updating the branch once frozen

3.  less likely that people and ci systems (continuum) will checkout
     and build pre-release versions of x.y.z (not x.y.z-SNAPSHOT) which
     would need to be removed manually and may accidentally be
     distributed.

4.  it is currently very difficult to roll version numbers forward,
     entries here and there are often missed.  Far better to have
     branches/x.y have a few straggling old x.y.z-SNAPSHOT versions
     than a few overlooked x.y.z final numbers that needed to go back
     to SNAPSHOT -- they never leave SNAPSHOT and need to be reverted
     back later if that process happens in the frozen branch.

Here is my +1

--
David