geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: What is the point of the CAR file?
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2006 06:17:09 GMT

On Jun 27, 2006, at 3:25 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> Can someone briefly explain what the point of CAR files are?
>
> They appears to be compiled plan.xml or something... but why do we
> need this?  Why not deploy the plan.xml and then let any processing
> happen inside of the server... and eliminate the need for any build-
> tiime custom CAR mucky muck?

I'm not real enthusiastic about debating this at length right now,
but I strongly object to removing the concept of car files.  I'm not
thrilled with replaicing the seriailzed gbean content with xml but
don't object.  I do object to requiring any builders to be running in
a server in order to start any modules.  The idea behind car files is
to convert any kind of input configuration info into a basic format
that requires no thought to load and run.  Starting with the plan.xml
at runtime will require making sure somehow that any builders needed
to interpret the plan are started.  Right now this is restricted to
XmlAttributeBuilders and XmlReferenceBuilders but the patch I'm
working on for pluggable jacc will introduce the possibility of using
any namespace driven builder to interpret pretty much arbitrary content.

thanks
david jencks