geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Bruce Snyder" <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Frustrations of a Release Manager
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 20:21:21 GMT

> Bruce Snyder wrote:
> > On 6/9/06, Jeff Genender <jgenender@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> There is no obligation for you to consult me to take the Directory
> >> integration, re-package it, and place it on geronimoplugins.com.  But
> >> out of basic respect, opening up the discussion of others on the idea,
> >> and then yes, as your friend, and colleague, asking me how I felt about
> >> taking the package and placing it on gp.com (which I did write and spend
> >> my time putting together), probably would have been most appropriate.
> >> It is kind of demoralizing for me to see the work that I did, end up on
> >> the geronoimplugins site w/o discussion from a colleague of mine.  I
> >> hope that makes sense...
> >
> > Some code that you wrote and licensed using the Apache License got
> > reused and you find it demoralizing? This is completely in the letter
> > and the spirit of the Apace License. How is such reuse demoralizing?
> > Not only is this legal, it's encouraged. Please help me understand
> > this sentiment.
>

> Bruce,
>
> Perhaps I am not being very good at communicating...let me paste what I
> wrote before, and you can perhaps show me the error of my feelings...
>
> "Although nothing in the Apache License prohibits you from doing this,
> it would have been prudent and shown respect to your peers who put
> together the example applications and the Directory integration, to have
> had some discussions about doing this and how they felt about it.  Its
> more of a ethical and respect issue, IMHO."
>
> The words I am trying to convey here are "ethical, respect, and
> prudent".  Being that we are all friends, I think we can abide by the
> spirit of the law, rather than the letter.  Would you agree?

Well I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this
topic. I don't care if my code is reused, twisted, refactored, deleted
or otherwise. When I apply the Apache License to my code, I hope that
others reuse it in some way. I actually do consider this reuse ethical
and respectful. I take it as the highest complement that someone would
reuse my code because it means that I saved them the trouble of
reinventing the wheel.

I think that it's our interpretations that differ. Are you simply
looking for a tip of the hat type of thing or something more?

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/
Apache ServiceMix - http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/