geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Do we need a Plugin Repo at the ASF ?
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:11:05 GMT
On 6/19/06, Donald Woods <drw_web@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Aaron, I'd also like to help maintain the geronimoplugins website and
> work on providing patches to enable building all of the samples and
> configurations needed to upgrade a minimal-server to a full J2EE server.

OK.  I've actually got a tool now to generate the web site from the
set of available plugins, so the web site maintenance is less onerous.
 So in the short term, it would be great to work on getting the
upgrade plugin together.  Basically, you need to:

 - create a geronimo-plugin.xml with a name and description and stuff
but no module ID (you can refer to the plugins-1.1.xsd schema)
 - add all the needed CARs (the ones in the J2EE server but not the
minimal server) as dependencies
 - list the unavailable module builders as obsoletes

To try this out, the easiest way will be to put it in an otherwise
empty JAR at META-INF/geronimo-plugin.xml and then try installing that
JAR using the command-line deploy tool (deployer install-plugin
yourfile.jar).  Let me know how you make out.

Once this is working, we should create plugin metadata files for many
of the CARs on the list, which will let us install the appropriate
settings into config.xml (ports and so on), as well as copying any
needed files into var/* or whatever.  I don't think this is
super-critical (many of the important files and settings will be there
already), but it will be nice to have.

We should also probably create JMS+Derby and EJB+Derby upgrade
packages in case people don't want to do the full Minimal->J2EE
upgrade.

Thanks,
     Aaron