geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Where did the 1.1 branch go?!?!
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:36:48 GMT
> Exactly that, to make sure people don't "move on" and checkin work on
> branches/1.1 for 1.1.1 where there is a freeze on branches/1.1 for
> preparing v1.1 (which may not pass it's vote and have to be redone).

OK, so let's say our state today is branches/1.1 and we're about to cut 1.1.0.

branches/1.1

In order to prepare the release, you copy branches/1.1 to tags/1.1.0
and then (if I understand you right) move branches/1.1 to
branches/1.1.1:

branches/1.1.1
tags/1.1.0

Now you discover that the tag was bad, but code has been checked in to
branches/1.1.1.  What do you do?

I don't think this has any advantage over leaving branches/1.1 and
copying it to tags/1.1.0:

branches/1.1
tags/1.1.0

Either way, if the build is bad, you'll have to copy tags/1.1 to
somewhere else to work on it (branches/1.1.0??) until you're ready to
cut another build.

It might be better to just suck it up and cut branches/1.1.0 at the
time of the freeze, and then tags/1.1.0 from that when you want to
create a candidate:

branches/1.1 (now 1.1.1-SNAPSHOT)
branches/1.1.0 (frozen, copied from branches/1.1 at freeze time, only
super-critical changes)
tags/1.1.0 (candidate release, copy from branches/1.1.0)

Then if the tag is bad, whack it, fix up branches/1.1.0, and recopy tags/1.1.0

Thanks,
    Aaron