geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Plugin Enhancements
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 04:21:46 GMT
(Changing subject to make thread more generic)

So there are two ways to create a plugin.  One is to get the module
running in Geronimo and then create the metadata file and export the
CAR -- there's an API for this (which the console uses) and the
Eclipse plugin could use too.  The other way is to use the Maven
packaging plugin, copying in the plugin metadata file as part of the
build (this is what the examples do).  I suppose you could also JAR up
the module directory in the repository, though I wouldn't recommend
that approach.  I assume the API approach would be best for Eclipse
integration -- there's a call to get the default metadata (including
dependencies gleaned from the module itself), a data structure for the
metadata you can populate however you want, a call to update the saved
metadata for the plugin, and a call to get a packaged plugin
InputStream back out.

As far as distributing to a cluster, that would require push and so
far we've only implemented pull.  There's no reason it can't be done.
I think it would make sense to start by defining a format that would
hold a plugin and all its dependencies in a single file (ZIP/JAR) so
the slaves don't need to separately download dependencies.  Then we
can probably use the remote deploy application and the deploy tool/API
(with perhaps minor enhancements) to send the plugin out to many
servers.

As far as sensitivity to releases, currently you can omit the Geronimo
version entirely and it will run with any release.  You can also list
many supported releases.  I don't think it's worth doing more until we
have wider agreement on version wildcards or ranges, though perhaps we
do with the 1.1.* approach.

Thanks,
    Aaron