geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: What's the Wiki story?
Date Mon, 12 Jun 2006 14:50:51 GMT
> As far as I can see, plugins are part of Geronimo and they should be in the 1.1 documentation
space.

I diasgree.  Plugins will be versioned separately from Geronimo, and
will not all be developed by the Geronimo team.  What will we do with
the Geronimo 1.1 documentation if Plugin Foo is at version 1.0 when
Geronimo 1.1 ships, but Plugin Foo goes through version 1.1, 1.2, and
1.3 before Geronimo 1.2 ships?  Will we constantly be updating the
Geronimo 1.1 documentation?  I don't think that makes sense.

I think there should be a Plugins space with the Plugin Foo
documentation.  In the Geronimo 1.1 documentation we can include a
list of known available plugins with references to their individual
documentation pages, or we can actually repeat some common usage of
popular plugins, but I don't think we should try to capture the
current state of all plugins (and either have it get terribly outdated
or need frequent changes to the "finished" parts of the 1.1
documentation).

> The plan is, as I proposed several times in earlier emails, to move all the content from
MoinMoin to
> Confluence. Most of the content in the MoinMoin is outdated or duplicated, the docs that
are still
> valid should be moved to a section within the new structure in confluence. Those topics
that don't
> fit either the User's or Developer's guide should go into the Geronimo SandBox space
which is
> version independent. This space should hold historical data like the logo contest for
example.

OK.  Who's going to do that migration?  Also, I have to say, I don't
think that putting documentation in a different Wiki is going to
automatically keep it up to date.  It's a nice opportunity to clean
up, but I imagine we'll need a regular cleaning process if we don't
want our Wiki to get out of date.

Thanks,
    Aaron