geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: GBeans representing separately persistent data
Date Mon, 12 Jun 2006 01:41:49 GMT
You've mistaken what I'm saying.

You don't need to write a GBean to deploy a job.  (The deployer
creates the GBean for you.)

You just write your job class(es) like normal (just implement "Job" or
whatever), put them in a JAR, and then include a deployment plan with
the schedule for the jobs.  There's an example plan below (note that
it can add dependencies to the classpath for your jobs like any other
plan can, in addition to listing the jobs to be scheduled).  Then you
can deploy this JAR using our normal deployment tools, and your job is
scheduled.

I'm not trying to replace existing Quartz tools.  If you're going to
run a Quartz server to handle hundreds of jobs, then there's no need
for Geronimo, but even if you did run it in Geronimo, you'd use your
normal Quartz management tools.

I'm more looking at the case of an application that needs to run a
daily import, daily export, and monthly report.  Who wants to learn a
new set of admin tools just for that?  Instead of fooling with
specialized tools, just put your job classes in a JAR and deploy that
JAR along with the rest of your application.  Voila!  Scheduled jobs.
If you update the jobs, you can redeploy them just like any other
code.

Thanks,
    Aaron

<jobs xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/plugins/quartz-0.1">
    <environment xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.1">
        <moduleId>
            <artifactId>TestJobs</artifactId>
        </moduleId>
    </environment>
    <job>
        <job-name>Frequent Job</job-name>
        <job-class>org.gplugins.quartz.jobs.TestJob</job-class>
        <cron-expression>0/15 * * * * ?</cron-expression>
    </job>
    <job>
        <job-name>Uncommon Job</job-name>
        <job-class>org.gplugins.quartz.jobs.AnotherJob</job-class>
        <cron-expression>0 10 10 * * ?</cron-expression>
    </job>
</jobs>