geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Plugin versioning problems
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 04:31:30 GMT
On 6/7/06, Donald Woods <drw_web@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Why shouldn't the Plugin support be as robust as module dependencies and
> allow the user providing the plugin to decide if they can support
> geronimo_version=*, 1.* or 1.1* ?  Limiting the plugins to only support
> predefined 1.1, 1.2, 1.2-betaN and 1.2-rcN labels seems like a hack to
> me and doesn't follow previous email threads about not deviating from
> Maven2 versioning behavior...

But what you've said here is "why shouldn't the plugin support be as
robust as A and allow B" where A != B.  Module dependencies let you
specify an exact version or no version.  Plugin dependencies also let
you specify an exact version or no version.  Neither of these support
1.* or 1.1*.

> Just as with the Tomcat JSP/Servlet Examples, you could easily provide a
> Plugin which should work on all 1.x releases....

My preference it to opt-in supported version, not opt-out unsupported
versions.  So I'd like the plugin developer to try a plugin on a
Geronimo version and if it works, list that version as supported.  The
alternative will most likely lead to Geronimo being willing to install
a plugin but the plugin not working.  If we get fancier version
dependencies we can consider things like "1.1.*" but I'm not sure I
like that.  I'm willing to be convinced, but I'd want to hear from
more plugin developers/maintainers.

Thanks,
    Aaron