geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: 1.1 Candidate releases available
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2006 17:50:39 GMT
> Aaron,
>
> Joe put out a thread about the interpretation of versions which I think is exactly this
problem.  If
> we have a well understood algorithm for Versions that includes several aspects of the
final qualifer
> (if present) this would solve the issue.  So releases is just one of many possible uses.
  Others
> include patched versions, SNAPSHOTS, etc.
>
> Does this sound right to you?

Well, only a little.  I would rather agree to use well-defined
releases beta1-netaN followed by rc1-rcN followed by a final release.
I don't want to say a plugin will support arbitrary releases
designated by whatever token someone feels like using so long as it's
valid according to our version calculation rules -- that seems likely
to be problematic.  But in the plugin context, I'm only talking about
the "Geronimo version", not the version of individual components like
geronimo/jetty/1.1.3-patch5/car.  I agree that Joe's discussion needs
to happen in relation to dependencies and versions of specific
components *within* Geronimo.

I guess I better propose my release versioning issue in a separate
thread for 1.1.N/1.2.

Thanks,
    Aaron