geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Where did the 1.1 branch go?!?!
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:38:42 GMT

On Jun 15, 2006, at 10:31 AM, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> David Blevins wrote:
>
>>> Comment from the peanut gallery...
>>> It is extremely poor form to modify 'tagged' releases. Once a
>>> release is tagged in SVN, it should not be changed, ever.
>> We don't update tags.
> That's good.
>
>>> 1.1 should not have been tagged until after the vote to release
>>> 1.1 passed. FWIW.
>> It's been our tradition to insist the releases are built from the
>> tag.
>
> 1.1 is tagged. What happens if the 1.1 release vote fails because
> of a show stopper bug?

IIRC this happened repeatedly with 1.0.  We deleted the tags/1.0 and
made a new one, using, IIRC, svn cp.

As I mentioned in another post, I don't have a big problem with this
since you don't lose any history by doing this, unlike cvs where
moving tags destroys history.  It does make the history a bit hard to
find however, and we might consider using "maven  build numbers" such
as tags/1.1.1-3 for the third try to release an acceptable 1.1.1.
I'd rather continue as we have been, deleting and recreating tags.
I'm open to argument however :-)

thanks
david jencks