geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Re: Unable to build using m2
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2006 21:15:08 GMT
>> Any idea where the stax:stax-api:1.1.1-dev comes from?
>>
>> The root pom states that stax:stax-api:1.0 should be used... but
>> the errors with the xmlbeans plugin all state 1.1.1-dev.
>
> I've filed a bunch of bugs all over the place and the current
> status is:
>
> -- I'm working with the xmlbeans team to publish correct poms for
> xmlbeans 2.0.0-1, 2.1.0-1, and 2.2.0.  This will take a while, but
> apparently won't conflict with the maven evangelism rules (my first
> attempt revealed that the evangelism instructions had no
> relationship to the actual process the maven team uses)

How long is a while?

Urg... this is another thing about Maven that really bothers me... we
are SO completely dependent on other projects for our own project to
succeed.

This would not be a problem if we had our own repo that we had
complete ownership of.  We could fix any poms and install fixed
plugins.  And... the build would be completely repeatable.  Chances
are that in a year or two, if anyone tries to build anything with
Maven off of an old branch it will fail miserably.  IMO this is not
acceptable.

> -- The maven xmlbeans plugin has had a couple fixes applied, but
> whether a snapshot is publically available is not clear to me.  I
> strongly recommend building the xmlbeans plugin from source.  IIRC
> this will eliminate the need for the bogus stax dependencies.
> Here's the latest relevant jira:  http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/
> MXMLBEANS-20?page=all
>
> After all the fixes are in we should not need any dependencies on
> stax-api and the bogus dependencies on stax can be removed.

I really don't like to have to go and check out a bunch of external
tools or libraries and then go step by step, configure and build
them... and hope like heck that their builds work all of the time,
and pray that Maven does not freak-out halfway through a long build
due to a missing dependency or repository timeout... just to get the
right bits in place to maybe get our build moving forward,

This is a nightmare IMO.  I remember a certain nightmarish build way
back in the day that needed a bit of magic... in comparison to our
build, that nightmare was the sweetest of dreams.

  * * *

The more I think about it the more it appears thats something major
is going to need to be done to really fix things...

--jason