geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RTC] - Fix top pom to reference right plugin
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2006 18:12:57 GMT

Jason Dillon wrote:
>>> FYI, we should be using ${pom.version} anywhere the project version is
>>> needed.  No need for a custom property.
>>
>> I think its by coincidence that we have 1.2-SNAPSHOT for both the plugin
>> and the G codebase...if its not coincidence, then it shouldn't be.
>> IMHO, the plugin should be versioned differently. In fact...I may even
>> go as far as to say, the packaging plugin can be useful outside of
>> geronimo itself (people building their own packages, etc) and probably
>> should be in its own tree or even be a mojo.  I am personally against
>> locking the G verison to the plugin version...I would like to see them
>> seperated.
>
> All modules that are part of the build should share the same version to
> simply the release process and make effective use of the m2 release plugin.
>
> I agree that the plugins should probably be moved to their own project
> and have independent versioning... and we will get there, but right now
> the easiest/best thing to do is to use the same version for all modules.

I'm not sure I agree that this is easiest or best.  I think I would be
interested in getting others' input on this as well.  One of the
problems we have now is the chicken/egg issue with the plugin being in
the build itself.  I think this would be alleviated by moving the plugin
to its own project and push it out as a reliable dependency for the
geronimo project.  I have tried the internal plugin thing on a few
projects, and it always ended up making life easier having the plugin as
its own project.