geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: geronimo javamail and James (Was: [RTC] Removal of the javamail-transport code.)
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2006 15:38:34 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>> Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>>>
>>> We don't need both at the same time.
>>> But:
>>> 1) I guess that geronimo-javamail is not as stable and feature
>>> complete as the sun-javamail.
>>> 2) We use javamail 1.4 apis (geronimo-javamail seems to be 1.3
>>> compliant)
>>>
>>> So what I think we could do is adding the handling of geronimo
>>> specific stuff while keeping the default to sun.
>>> This way one could test it and find out the differences.
>>
>> 1) Maybe not as stable.  What features do you think are missing?
>
> I've not checked geronimo smtp transport, Is there a feature list for
> current geronimo stmp implementation compared to sun smtp transport?
All answers below are for the latest version.  The one that shipped in
Geronimo 1.0 did not support these.

> Does it support the quitwait?
yes

> bindaddress/port for sockets?
yes

> does it support appending further strings at the end of the MAIL
> command and the RCPT command (ORCPT, NOTIFY).
yes
> How does it compare in converting messages from 7bit to 8bit when
> sending to  servers that supports 8bitmime, and from 8bit to 7bit when
> sending to servers that do not support 8bitmime?
I haven't implemented 8bitmime yet, as I've not really found a good
description for what needs to be done to support that.  I don't think
it's a big issue, I just
need to understand what it means to support it.